Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Shizuka Kudo -- Moon Water


Truth be told, the last few days going from October to November has been a rather uncertain time for me and my family from a telecommunications basis. Due to a horrible misunderstanding with our provider, our television services were summarily cut off though it was not our fault, and I've had to work like the dickens trying to get things back. Personally, I don't watch much TV, so I'm not unduly affected but my parents need their TV Japan.


As a result, I've had to rely on a large stack of VHS videos filled with TV programs from Japan that I had taped over many years while I was there to keep my parents happy. Plus, YouTube has plenty of material as well. Not a great situation since I'm now basically playing a local broadcasting scheduler but the silver lining in this gray cloud is that I've been able to see some old favourites such as game shows and "Tunnels no Minasan no Okage desu"(とんねるずのみなさんのおかげです). One episode that I got to see was former aidoru-turned-pop singer Shizuka Kudo(工藤静香)make one of her fairly frequent appearances. As usual, zanier and taller Tunnel Takaaki Ishibashi(石橋貴明)made his lecherous moves on her.


On that same episode, which was originally broadcast in 1995, Kudo also promoted her newest single at that time, "Moon Water", her 24th, which got its release in May of that year. She even got to perform it at the end of the episode. Kudo herself wrote the lyrics of really wanting that guy under her pen name of Aeri(愛絵理)while Arata Tanimoto(谷本新)took care of the sultry and grinding music. Ironically enough, Wikipedia notes that Tanimoto is an old classmate of Tunnel Ishibashi.

Watching the music video, Kudo can really do the sexy and slinky well (the cover for the single illustrates that in the Wikipedia entry) and she even had some choreography assistance from Chiharu of the group trf. "Moon Water" managed to peak at No. 14 and is included on her 10th album, "Purple" from August 1995. That did break the Top 10 at No. 7.


Gonna have to keep watching the videos and YouTube tonight, but it'll be interesting what other hidden treasures I can unearth from these time vaults.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.