Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, November 23, 2019

Miki Matsubara -- Stardust Rain(スターダスト レイン)


I've heard Miki Matsubara's(松原みき)classic City Pop and her forays into jazz/Latin. Now, I've been able to hear something of hers that combines the two.


From her September 1983 album "Revue", I bring you "Stardust Rain" that even has a hint of Latin but then the bass and keyboards bring it back to City Pop. Indeed, images of driving through Tokyo come to my head although I have never gotten anywhere near a steering wheel in my life (must be Van Paugam's footage from his former YouTube channel). Then, suddenly this big band brass makes itself known in the arrangement as if the 1940s and the 1980s have decided to share their popular music. A nice Saturday night tune.

Masao Urino(売野雅勇)was responsible for the words while City Pop/AOR impresario Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司)came up with the cool music. "Revue" itself peaked at No. 73 on the charts.

2 comments:

  1. I would appreciate it if you can give us the meaning behind the song because it's so far to find the English translation or even the Japanese lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Mark.

      Unfortunately, I don't have the album or the song in my possession, and as you have found out, the Japanese lyrics aren't even listed online. But from what I could understand by listening to "Stardust Rain", Miki is singing about all that romancing under the stars.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.