Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, November 29, 2019

Yutaka Yokokura featuring Pauline Wilson -- Say You Do


With the Yuletide just around the corner, me and my money decided to collaborate on our annual year-end CD spending binge. One of the CDs that I had been aiming for with laser-beam clarity was kotoist and keyboardist Yutaka Yokokura's(横倉裕)1990 album "Brazasia".


Alas, CD Japan doesn't have it and Tower Records indicated that "Brazasia" now has that dreaded haiban status. I realize that a YouTube channel has the entire album but I actually do want the physical album in my hands and on my shelf. The one reason that I want this one is this one track, "Say You Do" which is so warm and breezy and percolating that I feel like I'm already on the plane down south to tropical climes.

What makes it all work for me is not only the calming arrangement by Yokokura but also the vocal charms of Pauline Wilson, especially when she sings out the title itself...just how it trips off the tongue effortlessly like an Olympic diver hitting the water with barely a ripple. I really have to find out more about Wilson since she was also a member of the group Seawind in the 1970s.

Now, although I couldn't get "Brazasia", I didn't give up since I was able to grab Yokokura's 1988 album "Yutaka" which has him and Wilson working together on another wonderful song called "Warm & Sunny Sunday Morning". I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.