Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Tomita Lab -- Shiawase no Blue feat. YOSHIKA(しあわせのBlue)


The one thing that I've regretted about doing "Kayo Kyoku Plus" is that I'm no musicologist. I love my kayo and I'm happy that I've been able to communicate with other fans of kayo kyoku from all over the world over the majority of this past decade, some of whom have become writers of articles themselves here. Although I have never meant for the blog to become an academic exercise in melodic or lyrical analysis for songs like "Plastic Love" or the "Sukiyaki" song, sometimes I wish I could use some of that knowledge to explore why these particular favourites of mine have simply worked and disseminate my opinions.

Take for example, Steely Dan. This amazing band led by Donald Fagen and Walter Becker was part of my radio education when I was a kid and, without me realizing it, also tempered me to get further into Japanese pop music through the genres of City Pop and J-AOR since there was something about the secret sauce of Steely Dan that also garnered the fascination of singers and fans alike in Japan. I had always wondered what that sauce was, and it wasn't until earlier this year that I discovered this 2016 YouTube video by Nerdwriter 1 and found out that it was something called the Mu Major Chord. Again, non-musicologist me was able to glean some insight about what that particular chord is all about, but swapping notes in chords and realizing the change in sound to what is a key ingredient for a Steely Dan tune are largely lost on me unless I decide to take up the guitar or piano and start learning. What is important for me, though, is that I love what the Mu Major Chord has done for my ears all these years through music on both sides of the Pacific. Nerdwriter 1's video also has further sources for his commentary on YouTube so take a look at those if you are interested. Another great thing is that the fellow has focused on one of my favourite songs by Fagen and Becker, "Deacon Blues".


Well, now that I've got that off my chest, I can introduce this silky-smooth song called "Shiawase no Blue" (Happy Blue) sung by YOSHIKA. And guess what? I think it also uses that wonderful spice called the Mu Major Chord within those warm and honeyed horns.

"Shiawase no Blue" is a track on Tomita Lab's(冨田ラボ)February 2006 album "Shiplaunching". Written by Taeko Ohnuki(大貫妙子)and composed by Tomita Lab, that combination automatically got my attention. The Lab Man has always known his way around a cool arrangement and hook, and of course, Ohnuki, although she didn't officially help out in the melody this time, will always be dear to me. "Shiawase no Blue" is a wistful reminiscence of a romance gone by in some tropical paradise and it's cloaked in some refreshingly cool and mellow soul, the Mu and the sexy vocals by singer-songwriter YOSHIKA.

I'd thought that YOSHIKA was already represented here on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" since I've introduced a number of m-flo tunes over the years but it looks like I have as yet to include any of her contributions within that group. But obviously, there is nothing wrong at all by starting with her work with Tomita Lab. Now, I'm thinking about including "Shiplaunching" as part of my Xmas wish list. As for that album, it peaked at No. 51 on Oricon.


Hey, we got excerpts of "Deacon Blues" up above. Why not listen to the whole song?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.