Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, November 3, 2019

Tetsuji Hayashi -- Kanashimi Ippai(悲しみがいっぱい)


It was a little less than a month ago that I put up an article featuring singer-songwriter Tetsuji Hayashi's(林哲司)theme song for the 1987 detective series "Jungle"(ジャングル), a hard-driving City Pop instrumental reflecting, I'm sure, the hard-driving men and women of that particular police squad.


Well, tonight, I found a Hayashi tune that he himself provided the vocals for, "Kanashimi Ippai" (Full of Sadness), the first track on his September 1986 album "Nine Stories ~ Longtime Romance". Sounding more on the AOR side than City Pop, there is definitely something West Coast about it, because some of the riffs remind me of those that I've heard on my American AOR albums. In addition, I'm not sure whether Hayashi did his own self-cover of "Kanashimi Ippai" for an original performer or whether it's been covered since then, but I can really imagine his frequent client band, Omega Tribe(オメガトライブ)tackling this particular tune.

"Nine Stories" is an album whose title I have heard before when it comes to Hayashi's own discography. It may be worth some investment if it's still around somewhere. Hayashi, of course, provide the music while his frequent songwriting partner, Chinfa Kan(康珍化), took care of the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.