Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

All-Points Bulletin -- Name This Tune


Typing this up before I hit the hay for tonight, but earlier this morning, I received a request about trying to identify the source song and singer for this Vaporwave tune called "Come Over the Night" by Android Apartment. The album "The Stars Through Your Eyes" which has this track was apparently released in 2019 (I do like the cover).

I probably wouldn't expect Android Apartment to divulge the sources due to the usual copyright headaches. But from listening to it, the original song does sound rather 1980s and the singer sounds like Mari Iijima(飯島真理)of Lynn Minmay fame. However, that's all I can come up. So if any of you folks out there might be able to identify the original song and singer, let us all know.

December 6th 2020: As you can see from the comments below, the source song was quickly found as Yuko Tomita's(富田裕子)"Naze..."(何故...Why?)from her 4th album "Shampoo" (1983).

(17:19)

6 comments:

  1. Hi J-Canuck !

    The song is "Naze..." (何故…) by Yuko Tomita (とみたゆう子) on her 4th album "Shampoo" (1983).

    Lyrics & Composition by Yuko Tomita (富田裕子)
    Arranged by Kimio Mizutani (水谷公正)

    Original version here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RrG3XLQAQ

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Daemonskald! Back to the rescue again, I see. :) I think you've made that fellow very happy. BTW, how did you know about the song? Do you have "Shampoo"? Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Hi again J-Canuck!

      We had a talk about Yuko Tomita when you first introduced her to your readers with her song "September Girl".

      She's definitely one of my favorite artists and I have most of her albums. So no glory in finding out this song; it just happened to be in my collection :)

      To me "Shampoo" is maybe her best album and contains my all time favourite track from her "New York Heroin" (ニューヨーク・ヒロイン). This album would be a perfect introduction for somebody new to her work.

      Cheers!

      New York Heroin:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztbjk7Nhtt8

      Delete
    3. Hi, Daemonskald! I figured that you had some inside knowledge due to a Tomita-filled collection. :) "New York Heroine" sounds quite nice to the extent (power pop ballad of the 80s) that I may decide to get "Shampoo" sometime later this year. I may even go for her first album as well.

      Delete
  2. Bingo! Good work. Thank you so much. :)

    I actually like the remix more. It tickles my funny bone when future funk artists cut up samples so they feel nothing like the nothing. An artist I like that consistently does that is ミカヅキBIGWAVE (who happens to actually live in Japan! It increases the authenticity if you ask me.) Compare these tracks if you're interested:

    ミカヅキBIGWAVE - Fall In Love 恋
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lur2pKaaAxg

    Yumi Tanimura - Help
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqeIRqv9nUU

    There were so many times where I found a sample to a track and found myself puzzled. Future funk is a strange genre sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that Daemonskald was of great help to you. I actually bought Tomita's 1982 album "Deux" recently but I didn't recognize the voice on "Come Over The Night", so I think that I've yet to internalize her vocal style. To be honest, although I like "Naze...", I think Mikazuki Big Wave used that snippet from the song to even better effect.

      Mikazuki Big Wave is familiar to me so most likely I may have used one of his/her Vaporwave creations for an article. Vaporwave/Japanese Future Funk has been quite the interesting phenomenon and if anything, it's helped people get interested in City Pop/J-AOR.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.