Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, February 21, 2020

Toshiki Kadomatsu & Yurie Kokubu -- It's Hard to Say Good-bye


I've put up quite a few articles tonight but none of them thus far has been a City Pop number, and it's a Friday. So, I gotta finish things up with something appropriate.


Folks, I may have indeed found the right tune to end another work week here with the ideal City Pop/AOR duet. May I introduce Toshiki Kadomatsu & Yurie Kokubu(角松敏生・国分友里恵)and "It's Hard to Say Good-bye"? The Japanese title happens to be "Sayonara wa Ai no Kotoba"(さよならは愛の言葉...Good-bye is a Word of Love).

Written and composed by Kadomatsu with brass arrangement by Jun Sato (佐藤準...also on keyboards), this was one of the two songs on Side B of the City Pop master's first 12-inch single "Do You Wanna Dance?" from October 1983. Everything is there for a Kadomatsu love ballad: the heartfully soulful vocals, the mellow horns and the elegant keyboard...ahh, and I shouldn't forget the sax by Jake H. Concepcion! But it does start out with some surprisingly tender strings that made me initially wonder if things were going in a different direction. However, when I heard that horn come in, I was reassured that it was truly another Kadomatsu ballad. Nurse that relaxing cup of coffee or glass of cocktail.


Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.