Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Logic System -- Be Yourself


Last week, I performed a ritual that will become an annual thing...and that is to clean the shelves holding my compact discs and insert in the albums that I had been collecting over the past year in their proper order. It's not an easy job and I learned that pulling this off in an afternoon is practically impossible now. Instead, I did this over three days.


Once again, we've come to another Hump Day so perhaps energies and moods are at low tide right now, especially during February. Therefore, maybe the blog and I can help out a bit with a melodic enhancer of sorts. I present "Be Yourself", a track from Logic System's(ロジック・システム)"Venus" album from 1981.

I was a little surprised on hearing this one since my impression of Hideki Matsutake's(松武秀樹)project was that he was also following the technopop path set by his associates in Yellow Magic Orchestra. Certainly, listening to most of the other tracks on "Venus", I received that vibe of synthesizer music ranging from Isao Tomita(冨田勲)to 1980s YMO (including a synth cover of Off-Course's "I Love You"), but "Be Yourself" stands out like a beacon for being this radio-friendly tune of soul and fusion. The synths weren't dominating here; it was more of the pop piano and saxophone.


"Be Yourself" was also the B-side to Logic System's 2nd single "Aishuu no Orient Express"(哀愁のオリエント急行)that came out in 1982. However, the original "Be Yourself" was recorded in 1981 by singer-actress Debra Laws in her debut album "Very Special" with Lisa Peters and William Jefry, according to the explanation under the YouTube video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.