Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, February 17, 2020

Haruhi Aiso -- Otoko to Onna de


Methinks that if and when I go onto my next CD binge, I'm going to have to see whether I can track down a Haruhi Aiso(相曽晴日)album. Perhaps she may not have ever become the most well-known figure in Japanese pop music, but from the music that I've heard by this singer-songwriter, she's got a nice way about her in creating ochitsuku melodies.


I first heard about her a few years back with her "Coffee House nite"(コーヒーハウスにて)from 1983 which comes across as a down-to-earth AOR ballad straight from the West Coast. Now, I've discovered her "Otoko to Onna de" (As A Man and A Woman) which was released as her 5th single in March 1985. With lyrics by veteran Yoshiko Miura(三浦徳子), this one is a more pensive and classy urban contemporary number concocted by Aiso like a smooth cocktail with some good sweetness but perhaps with some bitters in there, too. The setting sounds like it's in some hotel top bar with a dance floor and the couple is getting just a tad woozy from all of the love and alcohol. I like the piano and those certain City Pop chords.

Perhaps the only thing that I could rap her knuckles for would be her pronunciation of "Je t'aime". I'd thought she said "Today...".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.