Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Yutaka Ozaki -- Boku ga Boku de Aru tame ni(僕が僕であるために)

 

I can hardly say that, even with the decade-long work on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", I've come across just about every singer in the long history of kayo kyoku and J-Pop. But among the singers and bands that I've gotten to know over the years, the late singer-songwriter Yutaka Ozaki(尾崎豊)has come off as a balladeer with plenty of emotion on his sleeve for a fellow who wasn't in the enka category.

There is something about his music, his lyrics and his way of singing that has been able to bring a certain calmness into my surroundings (although I wouldn't compare him to a cup of chamomile tea), so I think that's one reason that he was able to get that certain legendary status amongst the most ardent of his fans. Maybe it was the impression of him being the young every man with troubles that anyone could relate to.

"Boku ga Boku de Aru tame ni" has the English subtitle of "My Song" although a direct translation comes out as "So I Can Be Myself". The final track on his 1983 album, "Juu-Nana Sai no Chizu"(十七歳の地図...Seventeen's Map), there is an actual article on the song itself at J-Wiki in which album producer Akira Sudo(須藤晃)seems to describe the song as an ending to one journey begun by Ozaki from the first track "Machi no Fuukei"(街の風景...Scenes of a Town) where he's doing a self-assessment. "Boku ga Boku de Aru tame ni" is more of a resolution on what he must do to keep winning, and Sudo does mention that the singer hated to lose and worked hard from ending up that way.

Ozaki's melody is reassuring and comfortable, and I have to admit that even with some of his more high-profile hits such as "Oh My Little Girl" and "I Love You", I'm actually starting to prefer his more introspective tunes such as this one and "Donut Shop". The message of "Boku ga Boku de Aru tame ni" can be absorbed easily along with that cup of coffee. The J-Wiki article has some brief mention of Bruce Springsteen where it describes the song's lyrics and musicality, and perhaps there is that softer hint of The Boss in there, but if I were to bring in a fellow Japanese singer for comparison, I would go with Motoharu Sano(佐野元春).

9 comments:

  1. I am not sure how I feel about "Boku ga Boku de Aru tame ni" . I do like the lyrics, but the style of this song isn't really as melodic as the style found in let's say Motoharu Sano "someday". I think Boku ga Boku de Aru tame ni feels a lot more like some acoustic pre-grunge rock song. This is of course only my first impression of the song, as I have never heard it before. I am going to have to listen a few more times and ponder it a while before I know how I really feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Brian. Have you had a chance to listen to it a few more times? Sometimes it takes a while for a song to sink in or not.

      Delete
  2. Ozaki surely is master of conveying the feelings of especially the young and younghearted. I came across his music couple of years ago, it clicked right away. I'm sucker for songs with raw and powerful emotions that are not sugar coated with "overly proper" singing. Another thing Ozaki mastered in live performances in my books. Sometimes maybe going but over board but who cares. I only wished I'd have found his music a bit sooner, a slightly younger me would have greatly benefited from hearing the same feelings I experienced, been put to words and songs with both the raw untaimed and the calm soft vocals.

    I agree on your opinions on the song. Reassuring and comforting are exactly the right words to describing it. It feels like watching a sunrise after long night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again. Ozaki hit a lot of people's nerves with his music and delivery partly because of the times. There were those young people during the impending Bubble Era who were worried about losing their own identity during a time when there was pressure to become part of the affluent crowd. On the other end, there were folks who thought that Ozaki was screaming in the dark.

      For me, I've found his music quite soothing and he struck me as being a modern-day balladeer.

      Delete
    2. Just want to ensure that what I meant by "...hit a lot of people's nerves..." was move people emotionally and not anger them.

      Delete
    3. Ozakis songs and style could be described as something between fear of losing ones heart/sense of justice growing up and becoming "adult" (in a sense that "adults" often treat great injustice etc as normal, something that you can't do anything- and so don't care about) and "teenage angst". Depending where listerner personally stands.

      During teenage years when we just start to learn how sociaties and the power dunamics work in the world, we were often feeling very angry why money and power deside everything instead people doing the right thing that'd benefite most people in the end. Of course the older one gets the more you understand why things are the way they are.

      History likes to repeat itself and times surely haven't changed that much in the end. I think that's what makes Ozakis music timeless and universal in it's core.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I can agree with your opinions. He was singing from his heart about those teenage frustrations especially against the previous generation who may have gotten wiser but also cynical and less idealistic.

      Delete
  3. Totally agreed.
    It's nice to be able to have a talk about him with, a fellow fan If I may say so. There surely are not too many of us outside Japan.

    I have heard his son is also following his footsteps. I've seen only couple of clips, but Jr. surely physically embodies his father, though when singing the old songs he is more of a washed down version of Ozaki. He lacks the raw aggressive passion, but since those are not his songs and he is different human being that's to be expected.
    Do you happen to know more about the youngster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Nukkuvahatkalat. Yeah, most likely Ozaki fans are much fewer and separated outside of Japan. His son, Hiroya, has been continuing his music career and hopefully not in the shadow of his father but under his own terms and power. His Wikipedia file is available:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroya_Ozaki

      The fact that he's outlived his father by several years is poignant but also reassuring that he has more stability.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.