Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Tsugutoshi Goto -- file

 

Maybe I ought to start up a new Label called "NNN Kyo no Dekigoto"(NNNきょうの出来事...NNN's News of the Day) since I seem to be slowly racking up its theme songs. Mind you, this one included makes just three, but still, you know. I wasn't much of a newshound at least on the commercial stations; NHK was more my go-to network for the daily news but it was often enough that I ended my nights by just having the TV on to calm down. So I ended up having the telly switched over to NTV Channel 4 at around 11 pm and sure enough "Kyo no Dekigoto" came on. In my first years of my Ichikawa life, I kept hearing this spirited technopop instrumental come on while there was a soaring drive through some digital and futuristic landscape on the screen (presumably Tokyo) before the camera went to the newscasters.

From what I've read on the history of "Kyo no Dekigoto" on J-Wiki, the theme song between 1994 and 2002 was "file" and it was created by none other than bassist and prolific composer Tsugutoshi Goto(後藤次利). The full version of the song though didn't get onto an album until its time was done at "Kyo no Dekigoto". Fans of "file" finally got to hear their hero via Goto's September 2003 album "do not disturb" and it's a rumbly synthpop and rock number (with the bass going crazy) which for some reason made me feel that it could have made for an ideal alternate theme for "The Equalizer" and I mean the original CBS TV series with Edward Woodward in the mid-1980s. And yeah, it also imprinted on me once more that the news never sleeps.

So, "file" now joins the far more sedate AOR "Tonight Aishite"(トゥナイト愛して)by duo Bread & Butter (1980-1988) and Ruiko Kurahashi's(倉橋ルイ子)"Itsuka Dokoka de"(いつかどこかで)(1991-1994) as the theme songs for the late-night news on NTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.