Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Eri Sugai -- In My Dream

 

The last time I wrote about the late singer-songwriter Eri Sugai(菅井えり), it was for the first track from her 1986 debut album "SKIP!", "Dancing Shoes"(ダンシング・シューズ). It was a jazzy and old-timey variety show-friendly tune.

The better part of a decade later, Sugai released the album "Watashi wa Genki da yo"(わたしは元気だよ...Hey, I'm Doing Fine!)in June 1994. The fifth track is "In My Dream" which couldn't have sounded any more different. Written and composed by the singer herself, it's a calming pop song with a hint of country flavour that seems to have more to do with holistic living than painting the town red in the city. I recall one site categorizing the album as a jazz release but listening to a couple of other tracks including the title track, "Watashi wa Genki da yo" strikes me as being an uplifting pop experience, far away from the sensation of "SKIP!".

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping this post of yours will help introduce Eri Sugai to the English speaking world by aggravating the google and other search engines search results. Yeah, I think Eri Sugai did sometimes bridge genres or music domains maybe with a touch of fusion.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.