Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Spoozys -- So Human

 

Coming across this song, I am reminded of a certain scene in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" in which Lt. Saavik makes a key observation about Admiral James T. Kirk. Captain Spock's remark had the audience laughing when I saw the film in 1982. Good times!

I've had to pull in information from various sources but it still feels like I don't have the whole story on this band Spoozys which has been called a bunch of New Wave idiots or folks into space rock. I've got no idea myself but they are fun to listen to, according to this short track from their September 2003 album "CE-III". "So Human" seems to take inspiration from the works of bands such as Devo and Polysics with their crash n' bang of synths and rock guitars. It may be less than three minutes, but Spoozys certainly makes all of those seconds count.

I'm not sure whether Spoozys has had a lineup of musicians or it has been just the one-man unit of Tokyo guitarist and songwriter Jun Matsue(松江潤)but according to "Last.fm", he's often collaborated with other groups such as Cibo Matto, Pizzicato Five and Fantastic Plastic Machine. Matsue himself began releasing singles and albums in 1993, but Spoozys came about in 1998, and the band has distinguished itself in both Japan and America.

2 comments:

  1. They did tour the US in 98 or 99. I saw them and Jun is a fantastic guitar player. I thought Spoozys live energy was never really quite captured on their studio releases sadly. Ju has been doing solo work again lately which you can hear on Spotify and the such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Zazoo. Good to hear from you again. Good heavens. I think that the studio version of "So Human" above is plenty raucous so I can't even imagine what a live version must sound like.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.