Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, February 6, 2023

Kavka Shishido -- Yakiniku Princess(焼肉プリンセス)

 

For the first time since the beginning of the pandemic, I got to meet a whole bunch of old friends for dinner last night. And I know that it's been even longer since I dined at a yakiniku (Korean BBQ) restaurant, but happily enough, we all got to do that at a suburban place just north of Toronto. It wasn't cheap by any means (each of us paid $127 CDN) but it was the good stuff including Wagyu beef. Obviously, I can't do something like this every month but once a year, it's not a bad thing at all.

The place was also all-you-can-eat for two hours so we were engorging ourselves (and I apologize to all of those vegetarians and vegans out there, but I am an omnivore). I was frankly surprised that I could still stuff it in after all these years, but I think that the key was not ordering any rice; instead of that, I was satisfied enough to wrap the meat in leaves of lettuce instead. My stomach was heavier and my wallet was lighter.

On that note, I thought it would be nice to have something thematic here and therefore I managed to find "Yakiniku Princess" (BBQ Princess). This was a song from percussionist-singer-actress Kavka Shishido's(シシド・カフカ)4th single "Wagamama/Miss. Miss Me"(我が儘/Miss.ミスミー...Selfishness) from January 2014. Nothing ironic or allegorical here; it's simply Kavka happily professing her love for yakiniku...all those plates of different cuts of meat in full marinade; just keep it coming, waiter! I can understand her feelings completely. 

Not surprisingly, the music by Satoru Hiraide(平出悟)(and he also took care of the lyrics as well) is full blazing rock and R&B, just like the fire under the grill sizzling them slices up. Incidentally, Hiraide was also responsible for creating "Love Corrida"(ラヴコリーダ), which is the one other Kavka song that I covered on KKP. The single peaked at No. 52.

I did my fair share of yakiniku back in my Japan days. The only thing that I was missing from last night's carnivore repast was kalbi kuppa(カルビクッパ), that hearty stew I always loved at the end of a yakiniku session.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.