Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, February 13, 2023

Noelle's Favourite 1930s & 1940s Songs (Follow-up)

Lately, I've been in one of my early ryukoka phases. It's when I predominantly listen to songs from the 1930s to the early 1950s or so. It's most certainly because of the influence of Tokyo Taishu Kayo Gakudan (東京大衆歌謡楽団) and taking Bin Uehara (上原敏) as my newest muse. But it's also due in part to my reignited love for Yoshio Tabata (田端義夫) and a burgeoning interest in Katsuhiko Haida (灰田勝彦), both of whom have recently provided much-needed pick-me-ups as I figure out how to move on after graduating from university. And, of course, there are the covers by Hachiro Kasuga (春日八郎) and stuff I learned from the karaoke. My once tiny collection of ryukoka has expanded greatly and I picked up many more favourites along the way from a myriad of artists. So, I'd like to share some of them with you guys in this instalment of "Favourite" Author's Picks.

Looking through my past Author's Picks writings, I realised that I had done a post on my favourite songs from the 1930s and 1940s in 2017 (geez, I actually forgot). Looking at my own selection, some of those picks actually withstood the test of time and I still love them to this day. Some of those artists will also reappear here, albeit with different titles to their names. Care to take a gander at who they may be? :) This entry is sort of a successor to my previous one and the rule of one song per singer for fairness' sake will be kept. The lyrics most resonant with me will also be noted. 

Just a couple of disclaimers before we begin: 

1. There are some songs that were originally duets where I only listed one singer. I did this because I prefer listening to their solo versions.

2. I tried putting in some translations for my favourite lyrics. Take them with a pinch of salt - my Japanese skills are (still) paltry.  

Without further ado, let's begin.

Bin Uehara -- Hatoba Katagi (1938)

Mamori toshite kita ore da (I’ve been protecting you with all my life)

Hatoba katagi wo shiranai ka (Don't you know that's the spirit of the wharf?)

Now, we can't have a prewar song list without Husbando 3, right? For some reason, I became enamoured by the clear and gentle vocals of this star from the 1930s who (low-key) looked like a studious accountant, getting hooked on his many samurai/ronin and sailor-themed discography. I've come to like a good number of those songs and it was hard to pick just the one. But, I think that accolade should go to "Hatoba Katagi" (波止場気質), my introductory song to all things Bin-san which I first heard as a cover by Hachi (well, well). I always found myself going back to this ditty about a sailor having to send off his beloved at the docks, loving both the jaunty melody and Bin-san's tender and forlorn vocals.

Ooooooossu!

Yoshio Tabata -- Otone Tsukiyo (1939)

Guchi janakeredo yo ga yo de areba (Not to complain, but it is what it is)

Tono no maneki no tsukimi zake (Having drinks admiring moon at a lord's invite)

Otoko Hirate to motehayasarete (Praised as the man, Hirate)

Ima ja ima ja ukiyo no sandogasa (But now, now he's just a wanderer in the floating world)

If you guessed Tabata as one who'd reappear, you're absolutely right. Batayan's been a constant favourite for as long as I can remember, his cool dude energy being a such joy to watch and hearing the brassy twang of his trusty guitar gives me goosebumps. He was also pretty cute. But, for personal reasons, he never really got past my top 5 and into Husbando territory. (Noelle from 18/4/23: Yeah, that statement didn't age well.)

Last time, I picked "Genkai Blues" (玄海ブルース), but I am fairly certain that it was a toss-up between that and "Otone Tsukiyo" (大利根月夜). The same thing happened this time, but the latter came out on top instead. "Otone Tsukiyo" was my introduction to the exuberant singer and one of the first of many ronin-themed tunes I would come to like. Its grand sound really gives the disgraced samurai figure of Miki Hirate such a heroic edge, and I can't get enough of those amazing guitar solos - twice in just this one! Speaking of Batayan and his guitar, he seemed to have been so particular about it that he would insist on having its amplifier be placed where he could "see its sound or it won't do." Batayan, you're literally the "I can hear colours" meme, and that's why I love you.  

Katsuhiko Haida -- Jawa no Mango Uri (1942)

Kage e no shibai ka gameran mo tanoshiya (A shadow puppet show? The gamelan's great too!)

Aa Jawa no mango uri (Ah, the Java mango seller)

Among the veterans on this list, Haida was the one I least expected to show up here. And yet, here he is with his ukelele and flower lei thanks to "Jawa no Mango Uri" (ジャワのマンゴ売り). Perhaps it's because of the exotic and sultry sound. Perhaps I just like it when Haida sings "gamelan" and "mango" in that strange yet silky crooning of his, but I ended up taking to "Jawa no Mango Uri" way more than I had expected. How has he already propelled up to Batayan's level from absolutely nowhere in my books?? 

Tadaharu Nakano -- China Tango (1939)

Charumera mo kiete yuku (The charamela has disappeared)

Tooi akai hi aoi hi mo (So have the faraway red and blue lights)

Kuniang no maegami no (The young lady's bangs)

Yarusenakunaku yo wa fukeru (The night deepens without any sorrows)

From the island of Java, we go north to China. I never knew how much I liked China-themed songs until the Asakusa Bois came along. It's kind of kitschy, but also somewhat familiar. "China Tango", originally by Nakano, is one of them with its snappy tango melody and romantically sweet lyrics that paint a dreamy image of a Chinese port town at nightfall. Be it Kotaro or Nakano, the way they belt out the chorus never fails to impress me. Needless to say, this is one of the songs I look forward to the most when I watch the Takashima Brothers and gang. It doesn't appear on their setlists often, but I've been lucky to catch it in the times I've seen them in person and it never fails to brighten my day.

Haruo Oka -- Shanghai no Hanauri Musume (1938)

Hoshi mo kokyu mo kohaku no sake mo (The stars, the kokyu, and the amber sake)

Yume no Shanghai hanauri musume (The flower-selling girl of the dreamy Shanghai)

Speaking of China-themed tunes and song introductions via the Takashima Brothers, we head to metropolitan Shanghai with "Shanghai no Hanauri Musume"(上海の花売娘). Like Batayan, Okapparu makes his appearance here as well, this time with an entry from his well-regarded "Hanauri Musume series" (Flower selling girl series), the very first one, in fact. A bright and joyful number, Okapparu relates the scene of a flower seller at the docks of Shanghai in his clear and chirpy style. 

Dick Mine -- Nagasaki Elegy (1947)

Kino futta wa konuka ame (Yesterday's rain was a light drizzle)

Kyo wa namida no ame ga furu (Today's rain is my tears)

Yume no Nagasaki ai yoru tama wo (In the dreamy Nagasaki, our spirits as one)

Musube yogiri no abe Maria (Wrapped in the night fog, Ave Maria)

Welcome back to Japan, specifically to Nagasaki, with yet another recurring artist. I'd say Mine's "Nagasaki Elegy" (長崎エレジー) is a strong contender for my favourite Nagasaki-themed song, and I think my recent trip to the prefecture only amplified that. The swelling strings, upbeat tempo, and earnest vocals of whoever takes it on give "Nagasaki Elegy" this mix of sadness and hopefulness that I can't get enough of. Mine's rendition is great, but I do love Hachi's and Batayan's versions as well.

Akiko Kikuchi -- Hoshi no Nagare ni (1947)

Uete imagoro imouto wa doko ni (I wonder where my starving sister is now)

Hito me aitai okaasan (Just once, I want to see my mother again)

This one brings back so many bittersweet memories of my first year at university - what a ride it was. Kikuchi's jazzy tune is so visceral in its depiction of anguish, reaching its tipping point at each chorus. An apt representation of the immediate postwar period, but emotions do transcend time. While my troubles are nowhere near as harsh as what "Hoshi no Nagare ni" (星の流れに) implies, just the feelings conveyed through Kikuchi's sorrowful delivery with an element of resignation really hit hard at times. But it's exactly that which brings me back to it. Plus, I do love a good jazz-inspired song. 

Minoru Obata -- Onna Keizu no Uta (Yushima no Shiraume) (1942)

Shiruya shiraume tamagaki ni (Don't you know, white plum blossoms, on the shrine fences)

Nokoru futari no kageboshi (Remains their silhouette)

If I were to use a single word to describe "Yushima no Shiraume" (湯島の白梅), I'd say "beautiful". The elegant and dramatic strings and horns, Obata's genteel and deliberate crooning, and the image of blooming plum blossoms in early spring. Yet, it's the stage for a romantic tragedy between the geisha Otsuta and her lover Chikara from the book-turned-film, "Onna Keizu" (婦系図). Still, there's no better time to listen to this than now as the plum blossoms bloom.

Shigeo Kusunoki -- Onna no Kaikyu (1935)

Kokoro kudakedo mamanaranu (A broken heart is beyond my control)

Tsurai ukiyo no sayoarashi (The painful floating world's night gale)

I feel like "Onna no Kaikyu" (女の階級) is one of those songs that is simultaneously popular and unknown. It doesn't make much sense, but that's my impression based on my contradicting experience with it. Veteran Kusunoki was the original artist, but I see more covers of this track by enka singers through the ages than his original on YouTube. Yet, when I'm at the karaoke, the oldies aren't too familiar with it. Nevertheless, I somehow got hooked on this spunky Koga Melody. It's likely because the orchestra goes on full blast at a frenetic speed in the original, and simply because I like hearing the likes of Hachi doing incredible vocal gymnastics to pull it off in the covers.


And that, folks, has been an updated take on some of my favourite songs from the immediate pre and postwar eras. As I previously mentioned ages ago, somehow, these songs have incredible staying power in my head. But, I suppose that's why they're still being enjoyed more than seven decades later. 

Man, 2017 Noelle wouldn't have believed this list if I showed it to her. I can imagine: "Batayan, yeah, but who's... Bin? And the baseball guy? rEalLy??"


I ended off my previous list with madorosu Batayan, so I shall do the same here. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Noelle, and thanks for another epic list of your favourites. One observation that I've had about these songs is that although they were created in Japan for the Japanese, I can't help but feel that they would have felt quite at home on some of the old Hollywood black-and-white features in terms of their arrangements. Being a fan of the old movies, I guess that would also be one reason for my affinity for the old kayo.

    Your note on Batayan is interesting in that I wonder whether Batayan had synesthesia. People with this condition can apparently and literally see sounds or taste the written word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J-Canuck. Always a pleasure to put out lists like this. I'm not a movie buff, much less so for old Hollywood stuff, but I can imagine how some of these songs could fit pretty seamlessly into Western cinema. They do have a quite a cinematic/dramatic quality to them.
      Ah, yes, I've heard of synesthesia recently. As far as I have read/watched, it's not known if Batayan did have this condition. I just know that he's blind in his right eye. It'd be quite something if he did, though. If not, I suppose he could've just been extremely particular about how his beloved guitar sounds.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.