Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Yuko Machida -- Yuuwaku Summer(誘惑SUMMER)

 

It's threatening rain out there as I type this now, but so far, any precipitation has held off. Plus, compared to some of the heat that was bombarding us last week, it's been quite pleasantly cooler today, and the wonderful thing is that the huge cloud of forest fire smoke from northern Ontario has largely stopped coming our way.

We have another obscure pop singer from the 1980s in our midst here. I could find little on Yuko Machida(街田祐子)aside from the fact that she released (only?) two singles in 1981 with the first one being "Yuuwaku Summer" (Summer of Temptation). Now, the songwriters here were lyricist/composer Ichiro Araki(荒木一郎)and arranger Akira Inoue(井上鑑), both of whom have had their hands in the City Pop jar. However, aside from a few chord progressions that struck me as being City Pop, "Yuuwaku Summer" is really a cute pop ditty with Machida's twee vocals, although I don't think she was ever labeled as an aidoru. In addition, looking at the single cover with the singer wearing that particular dress, I'd expected something like a 50s/60s pop song but it actually all sounds rather contemporary to me (except for a boss sax blast).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.