Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Gen Hoshino -- Suki(好き)

red-heart-vector-graphics_200_w200_h200_cw200_ch200_thumb
 

With all of the various issues happening locally and abroad, it's no surprise that people could use some more of a salve for what ails them. 

Nothing medical here but musically, perhaps KKP can introduce singer-songwriter and hookmeister Gen Hoshino's(星野源)latest digital download single "Suki" (Love Ya) which was released only yesterday. And yep, it's got that catchy Hoshino hook along with some Hoshino scatting. Furthermore, I'm always going to be a sucker for any song that has those mellow horns from yesteryear...especially a snazzy flugelhorn. 

Not surprisingly, Hoshino came up with "Suki" for a TBS drama titled "Kimi no Suki wa Muteki"(君の好きは無敵...Your Love is Boundless) that started up a couple of weeks ago. He can come up with some of the great theme tunes such as "Kigeki"(喜劇)for the anime "Spy x Family" some years ago. According to one part of the J-Wiki article on "Suki", I was able to Google translate this paragraph regarding the song:

This track marks a new frontier in pop music for Gen Hoshino, characterized by a melody that instantly lifts the spirits, a groove that makes you want to dance, and a sound brimming with vitality. It captures the inner radiance felt the moment one falls for someone —as well as the immense power of that emotion—and serves to encourage anyone who is evolving with that passion as their driving force, adding vibrant color to the world of the drama.

I'm not sure if I would say that this is a new frontier for Hoshino. His reputation has usually involved very upbeat tunes and "Suki" is no different. But I would certainly agree with the groovy assessment and indeed, falling in love can pack quite a punch of positivity. I'm assuming that the final word "drama" is referring to the TBS show (unfortunately I couldn't find any footage on YouTube).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.