Being summer, it's festival season in Japan and I know that it's in full swing whenever I hear about or see Tokyo's Sumida River Fireworks Festival on the final Saturday of July. I've seen it on television from the air-conditioned comfort of my Ichikawa apartment and around thirty years ago, I actually saw it with my own eyes from the apartment of a student who generously invited teachers and fellow classmates over for a fireworks party. We were very fortunate in that the apartment was right by the Sumida River in Asakusa where I used to work, so the fireworks literally exploded right over our heads. Getting back home, though, was quite the adventure in time and physics.
Festivals in Japan also mean bon odori...the great communal dance around the raised stage all draped in red and white like the colours of the Japanese flag. Nothing says the dog days of summer than doing those rhythmic steps while sporting a colourful yukata and geta while a min'yo is being sung and performed on stage.
However, in the last several years, there has been some relaxation of the rules in terms of the music, so instead of the traditional stuff, examples of kayo kyoku and J-Pop have been used to get the crowds all roused up and dancing. Thanks to an NHK report yesterday, I was rather inspired to put up this list that I got from a far bigger list on Line Music. Yes, you can dance to these in the Bon Odori style!
(1984) Ann Lewis -- Roppongi Shinju (六本木心中)
(1985) Yoko Oginome -- Dancing Hero (ダンシング・ヒーロー)
(1993) Pizzicato Five -- Tokyo wa Yoru no Shichi-ji (東京は夜の七時)
(2001) B'z -- Ultra Soul
(2013) AKB48 -- Koisuru Fortune Cookie (恋するフォーチュンクッキー)
P.S. They could even make a Bon Dance out of this classic!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.