Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, July 26, 2026

Kiyotaka Sugiyama & Omega Tribe -- Misty Night Cruising

 

The above photo comes from flickr and Wikimedia Commons via author aotaro and it's quite the gleaming Tron-friendly photo of the Tokyo Bay Aqua-Line spanning across the titular body of water between Kanagawa and Chiba Prefectures. Imagine crossing this one in the wee hours.

Now, the Aqua-Line opened around thirteen years following the introduction of this opening track from Kiyotaka Sugiyama & Omega Tribe's(杉山清貴&オメガトライブ)December 1984 album "Never Ending Summer", but I'd imagine that current City Pop fans would be more than happy to traverse the Aqua-Line while listening to this one in the coupe.

What I'm talking about is "Misty Line Cruising" which was written by Chinfa Kan(康珍化), composed by Sugiyama himself and then arranged by Makoto Matsushita(松下誠). From the title and one early lyric, I'd assumed that the story was going to take place on a cruise ship but by the end, I was convinced that the cruising involved was through a car...an automobile occupied by a handsome couple out on their second date after meeting cute in a cafe somewhere. The feeling from the rest of Kan's lyrics is that the sky's the limit now as to what could happen in this relationship. The romantic vibe is thrumming as smoothly as that engine in the car and the melody in "Misty Line Cruising".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.