Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Higurashi -- Tsukiyo no Highway(月夜のハイウェイ)

 

It's been getting close to forty-four years since I heard my first Higurashi(日暮し)song on "Sounds of Japan" and that was without knowing the name of the folk/New Music band or the title of that song until I finally discovered it after returning from Japan for good in 2011. Furthermore, it's been fourteen years since I posted that splendid song, "Aki no Tobira"(秋の扉), onto "Kayo Kyoku Plus".

Up until now, I'd seen Higurashi as a band that had its time in the 1970s before becoming a part of Japanese music history. However, I learned recently that the original members got together one more time in 2017 to release "Everlasting -Unreleased & Rare Tracks-". One of the tracks is "Tsukiyo no Highway" (Moon Night Highway) which was written and composed by members Seiichi Takeda(武田清一) and Yukio Nakamura(中村幸雄), and the jaunty arrangement has that feeling of Higurashi especially with everyone getting in behind the mike including Naomi Sugimura(杉村尚美), now Naomi Sakakibara(榊原尚美). However, there is that contemporary freshness with the instruments and the recording which struck me. I especially like the addition of what sounds like a steel pedal guitar; gives the song a really nice accent of traveling smoothly on that titular highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.