Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, April 5, 2021

Akiko Kobayashi -- My Precious Friend

 

It's always nice to have an Akiko Kobayashi(小林明子)song on board after so long especially during these trying times. Her creamy voice and the oh-so-mellow arrangements can offer some aural relaxation.

Back in 2014, I wrote about her September 1989 album "Bon Voyage" first via the track "Perfect Love" and then the album itself some months later. As I said back then, "Bon Voyage" had this sensation of a new fresh beginning for the pop singer-songwriter, and the cover illustrated that with her posing on some precipice and looking out at the invitingly bright blue sky. Of course, with that title there, I easily thought of ocean cruises which is why I put up the photo of that afternoon view from the Odyssey of the Seas that we took back in 2017.

I'm finally happy that I could put up the first track from "Bon Voyage", "My Precious Friend". There is a sense from Reiko Yukawa's(湯川れい子)lyrics that the lady here is actually off on a cruise to gather her thoughts after a romantic breakup. If I did read them correctly, she and he have downgraded their relationship back to best friends from a romantic couple. Although "My Precious Friend" is very much a J-Pop song, the theme is rather reminiscent of that kayo trope of going on a trip to forget about a failed romance.

However, as Kobayashi's breezy melody makes clear, there is nothing maudlin at all about this post-breakup voyage. In fact, it's all very bright and hopeful as the woman in the lyrics feels that everything is back on the right track. "My Precious Friend" is a great track to start "Bon Voyage" with that just-as-bright keyboard play, the guitar solo and of course, Kobayashi's warm and honeyed vocals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.