Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Yuuko Iwasaki (aka Yuuho Iwasato) -- One Night

 

No, there's nothing wrong with your eyesight although perhaps things might improve with the image if you have any 3D glasses in the house. That was just me at Yamashita Park in Yokohama one night trying to take a regular shot with my old now-defunct Casio after having a little too much to drink in Chinatown. Still, I had a very nice time at the buffet table.

(29:12)

But seeing that this video has footage of romantic nighttime Yokohama (it's been taken down), I thought that the top photo would be rather nice as a thumbnail for the topic of this article, Yuuko Iwasaki's(いわさきゆうこ)"One Night". Now, for those who don't know Iwasaki, I actually wrote about her last November for her one and only single "Ikusenman no Yoru wo Koete"(幾千万の夜をこえて). However, the surprising thing is that she's better known as songwriter Yuuho Iwasato(岩里祐穂)who has created a ton of tunes for other singers since that 1980 single.

"Ikusenman no Yoru wo Koete" was more of a New Music number with some AOR and country, but "One Night", a track mate of that song on Iwasaki/Iwasato's one and only 1980 album "Magical Liqueur"(マジカル・リキュール), takes things into a more City Pop direction with a touch of bossa nova. As I mentioned in that other article, the lady has a pleasantly light and smoky voice, and the whole song reminds me of Keiko Maruyama(丸山圭子), Junko Yagami(八神純子)and even Miharu Koshi(越美晴)in her early years. It's perfect cocktail music and if I can also mention an actual song that it reminds me of, it would be Leon Russell's 1972 "This Masquerade" that has since been covered by the Carpenters and George Benson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.