Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 23, 2021

PAZZ -- People!

 

The crazy thing about "People!", the final track on PAZZ's 1987 "Bananafish" album, is that despite its nearly 6 minutes of song, it doesn't wear out its welcome at all and I'm surprised that it just breezes by as quickly as it does.

I've already written about much of this pretty fine album with the weird name by the one-off band, and certainly I would love to get my hands on my own copy of "Bananafish" once all this COVID stuff is behind me and mail delivery is stabilized once more. But in the meantime, I'll be more than happy to settle for what I can find on YouTube, and with the finale of the album being "People!", I get a warm and soulful mid-tempo song created by lyricist Ichiko Takehana(竹花いち子)and composer/vocalist Masayuki Iwata(岩田雅之).

There are some nice honeyed synth-horns and a rhythm that hints at a comfortable afternoon drive along the coast. Then at the end, there is even a hopeful get-together collection of voices and claps which hints at some gospel and perhaps some Stevie Wonder. Although I wonder how much better "People!" would have been with real horns, it's a nice way to end "Bananafish".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.