Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 2, 2023

Gen Hoshino -- Kigeki(喜劇)

 

Let me get this out of the way right now. I never got onto the "Spy x Family" bandwagon when the anime adaptation made its premiere last year although it became a hit, had big-name seiyuu and is going to get a second season. It just never got to me.

So as such, I didn't pay any attention to the theme songs for "Spy x Family". Well, earlier today I was writing up my own feelings on the 2022 Kohaku Utagassen and stated that one of the interesting aspects of the NHK New Year's Eve special was that there was a slightly bigger representation of anison, one of which was sung by singer-songwriter and actor Gen Hoshino(星野源). Indeed, he sang the first ending theme for this anime which has become of the more popular of the year just passed.

Hoshino's performance of "Kigeki" (Comedy) which was his April 2022 digital download single was definitely one of my highlights of the Kohaku when I caught it last night with my family. Ironically enough, that was what he based the song on...family, a story theme for "Spy x Family" with the involvement of three different people with their own special abilities meeting through fate and assignment, and somehow going from being a pretend family into a real loving one.

The soul groove of "Kigeki" is what got me signed onto the song. As I listened to it a few more times, I began to believe that it had a nice blend of Jamiroquai and King Gnu. Some years ago, I remember when Hoshino showed up on the 2019 Kohaku to perform "Same Thing" which had him go a little more gnarlier into his rock side. It was good but I am happy that he has returned to a happier and poppier place once more with "Kigeki", kinda like his old "Koi"(恋)days. By the way, the video hits the core of the message perfectly. It hit No. 1 on the digital download chart for Oricon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.