Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Eri Ohno -- Trad Man


For you anime fans, if the name Eri Ohno(大野えり)rings a certain bell, it is because she sang an epic torch ballad for one of the "Lupin III" movies in the 1990s called "Destiny Love".

However, by profession, she is a jazz singer and so I encountered this likable hep cat affair by her just into the 1980s called "Trad Man". I'm writing this article in broad daylight in the afternoon but this makes for a nice little evening listen over cocktails. I couldn't find out who took care of the music and lyrics, but "Trad Man" was a track on her 3rd album "eri" from October 1980, and apparently the song was used for a few years for Hitachi commercials in the early part of the decade. I never would have thought to put jazz and a multi-conglomerate together.

My interest in jazz has ebbed over the years but once in a while, I still appreciate that Big Band sound.

November 9th 2023: I guess at the time I hadn't discovered the JASRAC database. The lyricist is Casey Rankin while the composer is Toshiyuki Daitoku(大徳俊幸).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.