Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 30, 2019

Keiko Maruyama -- Futari no Sunadokei(ふたりの砂時計)


Whenever I think of an hourglass, my memories always dredge up the opening credits from the soap opera "Days of Our Lives". I don't recollect ever seeing a single episode of the show (I was more for "All My Children" and "General Hospital"), but that opener with the narration “Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.” has remained with me since I was a toddler.


I'm pretty sure that despite all of the imports of American programming onto Japanese television over the decades, soap operas were never on the list. Japanese TV had too much of their own melodramas perpetually being created.

But since I've brought up the topic of hourglasses, allow me to bring in a calming kayo by singer-songwriter Keiko Maruyama(丸山圭子)titled "Futari no Sunadokei" (Hourglass for Two). Written and composed by the singer, this was her 6th single from September 1977, and it's one of those songs that I couldn't really peg into my favourite genres of AOR, City Pop or New Music. So I've going with regular pop here.

It's plenty sweet like the drinkable pop as a couple of lovers enjoy their time walking through a park and resolving to have many trips there...until the sand inevitably runs out. Very nice sentiment, indeed, and what makes things even creamier are the keyboard work and that insertion of the harmonica. Sunday afternoons should always be like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.