Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 23, 2023

Bonny Jacks/Mariko Miyagi & Victor Jidou Gasshoudan -- Te no Hira wo Taiyou ni(手のひらを太陽に)

 

Well, I've had one representative song from the currently running anime "Tomo-chan wa Onna no Ko!"(トモちゃんは女の子!...Tomo-chan is a Girl!)in the form of Maharajan's "Kurae! Telepathy"(くらえ!テレパシー). There have already been some highlights from the first few episodes of the show including main character Tomo giving her own special touch to traditional Japanese kids' songs at karaoke. I will definitely have to cover the song that Tomo sings here very soon since it is a classic and because her seiyuu Rie Takahashi(高橋李依)has really shown her range.

But allow me to introduce an old kayo that I hadn't realized was specifically a children's song until I got to listen to it again after many years. I simply assumed that "Te no Hira wo Taiyou ni" (The Sun in the Palms of Our Hands) was just another one of those Showa Era songs that everyone loved to do in a singalong. It's jaunty and people can do it in unison so I can imagine that it was a fun tune to do at karaoke, and maybe ol' Tomo can give it a shot the next time she goes...if she does go a next time.

Bonny Jacks(ボニージャックス)is a chorus group that I've always wanted to get onto the blog just because I like the sound of that name of theirs. Formed in 1958 from the Waseda University glee club, they first consisted of Takeomi Kashima(鹿島武臣), Motoyasu Tamada(玉田元康), Hisao Nishiwaki(西脇久夫)and Masato Ohmachi(大町正人). With the deaths of the last two members in 2021 and 2011 respectively, it's currently a trio with Hideyuki Yoshida(吉田秀行)joining in 2003. "Te no Hira wo Taiyou ni" is one of Bonny Jacks' trademark tunes that was released as a single in 1965 and it was successful enough that the group made their final of three appearances on the Kohaku Utagassen that year.

Not surprisingly, "Te no Hira wo Taiyou ni" has had its covers over the decades, and in fact, Bonny Jacks' tilt at the song was also a cover. The song about friendship and love of life in all its myriad forms (sounds rather Shinto) was first recorded in 1962 for NHK's music program for kids "Minna no Uta"(みんなのうた)with lyrics and music provided by Takashi Yanase(やなせたかし)and Taku Izumi(いずみたく)respectively. Recorded by Mariko Miyagi(宮城まり子), a singer and actress who would later become an advocate for children with disabilities, and Victor Jidou Gasshoudan(ビクター児童合唱団...The Victor Children's Chorus), the orchestra has an almost rumba approach to the arrangement. Miyagi herself is downright boisterous in her delivery.

1 comment:

  1. I still have yet to see "Tomo-chan wa Onna no Ko!", but after this post I think I want to check it out. "Te no Hira wo Taiyou ni" another song that I have heard several times before, but never gave much thought to. I can't even remember where I heard it first, but you right it covered and used every now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.