Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Aki Izumi -- Yuuyake no Aitsu(夕焼けのあいつ)

 

Although heartbreak is a frequent theme for pop songs on either side of the Pacific, I don't think I've heard too much in the love 'em-and-leave 'em department when it comes to kayo kyoku, at least perhaps not recently.

Well, we've got one here I believe with Aki Izumi's(泉アキ)short-and-not-too-sweet 2nd single "Yuuyake no Aitsu" (The Sunset Guy) from February 1968. It was about a couple of years ago that I put up her debut single "Koi wa Heart de"(恋はハートで)and I noted the singer's distinct delivery. Izumi has a high and slightly quivery singing style that reminds me a bit of 90s pop singer Kohmi Hirose(広瀬香美), and her yelling of "Return it to me!" and "Get back here!" may have had listeners and record player needles jumping up in surprise. 

Lyricist Ichiro Hirai(平井一郎)and composer Takashi Takase(高瀬タカシ)were responsible for "Yuuyake no Aitsu". There isn't too much twangy guitar in this one compared to her debut, but the Group Sounds sound is still intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.