Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, January 5, 2023

Mrs. GREEN APPLE -- Dancehall(ダンスホール)

 

My memories of the rock band Mrs. GREEN APPLE have been so tied to their contribution to the anime "En En no Shouboutai"(炎炎ノ消防隊...Fire Force) via the opening theme "Inferno"(インフェルノ)that I had forgotten that I wrote about the group only a couple of weeks prior with their jumpy "StaRt". Well, reminding myself that Mrs. GREEN APPLE did possess some of that quirky fun, I was no longer as surprised as I was when I first came across their most recent digital download single.

I read on the band's J-Wiki profile that Mrs. GREEN APPLE had taken a brief break between 2020 and 2022 after which the five-piece unit that I discovered through "StaRt" was now pared down to a trio consisting of vocalist Motoki Ohmori(大森元貴), leader/guitarist Hiroto Wakai(若井滉斗)and keyboardist Ryoka Fujisawa(藤澤涼架). Maybe their sound has changed as well since "Dancehall", their May 2022 digital download single, is definitely in the pop vein.

Ah, I should correct myself. It's a fun pop tune with some Jackson 5-type R&B rhythm which was written and composed by Ohmori. Instead of all the world being a stage, Ohmori's feeling is that all the world is a dancehall which is even more considerably enhanced thanks to the presence of a beloved one being the dance partner. All that happiness is most definitely reflected in the song.

Heck, I was writing about SEKAI NO OWARI's "Habit" yesterday in which I remarked about the band getting into choreography. The same thing has happened here with the three guys unexpectedly getting into dance mode, perhaps in the Takarazuka Troupe or Johnny's Entertainment way. "Dancehall" became their second digital single to break into the Top 10 at No. 8 on Billboard Japan's Top 100 after the aforementioned "Inferno" which rose as high as No. 6. The song is also a track on Mrs. GREEN APPLE's 4th mini-album "Unity" which was released in July 2022 and hit No. 3 on Oricon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.