Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 16, 2023

Mieko Hirota -- Look Chocolate no Uta(ルックチョコレートの歌)/Bob McGrath -- Topsy no Uta(トプシーの歌)

 

Good golly! I remember this oh-so-1970s commercial as if it had been playing yesterday on the old telly. Lowney's Cherry Blossoms were a treat that I had to eat from time to time as they were readily available in supermarkets and convenience stores in Canada. They not only raised my caloric input but most likely decreased my life expectancy without me realizing it. Mind you, we have a box of the Laura Secord version on the coffee table but those blossoms are thankfully far less potent.

Chocolate in their bars and other forms were just as popular in Japan, too. I believe that I actually did buy a few boxes of Look Chocolate at the local 7-11 or am/pm during my time there. Certainly, the shapes look very familiar. I'm also happy that someone on YouTube was enterprising enough to put up an ancient commercial for Look which does have that mild psychedelic appeal. The jingle seems to have come out of some 1960s Italian movie. 

Look is still putting forth chocolates and commercials today as you can see from the fellows of Snow Man making their mark.

I was actually doing a bit of research on the legendary kayo writing team of lyricist Rokusuke Ei and composer Hachidai Nakamura(永六輔・中村八大). Of course, the two have been immortalized for the "Sukiyaki" song, aka "Ue wo Muite Arukou"(上を向いて歩こう), but I also saw on their list that they were also responsible for one jingle for Look which was created in 1963, a couple of years following "Sukiyaki".

Titled simply "Look Chocolate no Uta" (The Look Chocolate Song), it was recorded by the late Mieko Hirota(弘田三枝子). Short and sweet as any chocolate jingle ought to be, it has that catchy twist-friendly arrangement, and maybe the kids were doing their little jig while whining at their parents to take a look at Look

Going further down the rabbit hole to find out about "Look Chocolate no Uta", I discovered via Discogs that it had been a B-side for a 1965 45" single of chocolate jingles. The A-side had "Topsy no Uta" (The Topsy Song) for a chocolate of that name which no longer exists. Composer Nakamura was also responsible for this jingle but the lyricist for this one was Tokiko Iwatani(岩谷時子). And the singer here was none other than Bob McGrath of "Sesame Street" fame who just passed away late last year. It's got quite the dramatic and romantic heft for chocolate, doesn't it? Bob did a pretty bang-up job on the Japanese, too.

5 comments:

  1. Now, this was a unexpected yet fun post! You are as much a gourmet as you are a music connoisseur. I say this not just because of this post, but because of the numerous pictures of food that have graced this blog over the years. Mind you I have been commenting on this blog that long, yet. Although I am pretty sure learned of this blog long ago on ジョナサン`s now discontinued Japanese blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a lot more in the way of foodie photos since I had gone to my share of restaurants in the past. But since the pandemic, I don't really go out all that much anymore. However, whenever I get a chance to talk about a food-based kayo, I like to search for one of those old shots.

      Delete
  2. "food-based kayo"? Oh, man now I curious again! I am going to have to comb through your blog searching for post on that genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can give Akiko Yano's "Ramen Tabetai" a shot.

      https://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.com/2013/02/akiko-yano-ramen-tabetai.html

      Delete
    2. Hey, thanks! I will take a look at that.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.