Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Emiko Nakayama -- Yuu Gohan wa Curry ni Shimashou(夕ごはんはカレーにしましょう)

 

There's been quite the love affair between the Japanese and Indian cuisine for decades. I was weaned on Japanese curry since I was a kid, and I got my education on curry when I was actually residing in the country. One can throw a stone anywhere in Tokyo and the chances are pretty good that it'll hit an Indian restaurant of some sort or at least on a place serving curry. I had my first puffy piece of naan and Thai coconut curry right there. The above photo has a nice pot of Butter Chicken Curry at a restaurant near my good friend's place in Musashi-Kosugi.

Yesterday, commenter Brian noted that he did enjoy his share of foodie-based kayo so I gather that today will be his lucky day. I steered him towards Akiko Yano's(矢野顕子)tongue-in-cheek "Ramen Tabetai"(ラーメン食べたい)and now I introduce him to "Yuu Gohan wa Curry ni Shimashou" (Let's Have Curry for Supper). Emiko Nakayama's(中山恵美子)6th single from December 1975 possibly had the benefit of good timing since with the cold coming in by the time of the record's release, folks were probably more than happy to have a steaming plate of curry rice.

In fact, I found out on Twitter that the song was used as a commercial jingle for Japan's Bon Curry Gold and it does have that catchy jingle feeling that would get the kids and parents slavering for some of that curry. Ken Sato(佐藤健)and Kenichi Sawa(沢健一)were responsible for the melody and arrangement respectively while Fumiko Okada(岡田富美子)provided the food-friendly lyrics. Not sure how "Yuu Gohan wa Curry ni Shimashou" did on Oricon, but it probably spurred a lot of purchases of curry mix in the supermarkets. Ironically, I had some leftover curry for supper last night myself.

In another bit of coincidence, my first Emiko Nakayama article back in 2015 was for her "Black Coffee"(ブラックコーヒー), so have a gander at that for some further foodie-based kayo.



5 comments:

  1. Nice1970's sound! The first few seconds of Yuu Gohan wa Curry ni Shimashou starts off almost like a disco but then the rest of the song is lot more mellow. I enjoyed this song and this post as I am a curry lover myself. My girlfriend(now wife) prepared for me my first S&B golden Curry mix and short grain rice back in 1998 when we were both University students. I was pretty clueless when it came to international food so I did not know about Thai or Indian curry at back then. So, I continue to appreciate any food education I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you enjoyed the song. I still love my S&B, but it was good to discover the coconut curry. Really hot but appealingly creamy as well. Plus, I love naan with my curry as much as rice, too.

      Delete
  2. I have had Indian and Thai curry before in Japan that is, but I do not think I have ever tried coconut curry. Looks like a new food adventure awaits me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair warning but despite the creaminess of the coconut, the curry is still quite fiery.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.