Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, January 26, 2023

Elton John -- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

 


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaah....

Ahhh...there's nothing like a trailer for an upcoming blockbuster to bring back an old pop chestnut. Yup, "Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania" is due to come out next month and I'm predicting that not all of the Pym-Lang clan are going to come out alive. I'm just hoping that Phase 5 is off to a better start than what Phase 4 brought...I was a bit disappointed last year.

In any case, I ought to get to this week's Reminiscings of Youth and it is this song that was winding through the trailer. I've known Elton John's September 1973 (when it was released in the UK) masterpiece "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" since I was a kid with the family radio but back then, I hadn't been paying attention to the lyrics but to the music and especially the famous chorus that I've pathetically tried to emulate in text above to start things off.

Elton John even managed to infiltrate my thick head at the time since he was so over-the-top in his fashion, including his glasses, whenever I saw him on telly, but it would be a while before I connected him and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". I didn't even know the title for the song for several years. Of course, I was scratching my head at why this elegant ballad was making this reference to "The Wizard of Oz", the Judy Garland fantasy that we traditionally watched on Saturday nights on CBS whenever a major holiday was upon us. Eventually, I realized that the John-Taupin creation was all about remembering and reappreciating where one came from. It's something that I've gotten to understand in the last few years, too.

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" hit No. 1 on Canada's RPM Top Single charts while it reached No. 2 in the United States. The song is a good choice for the "Quantumania" trailer as the Pyms and the Langs enter a microversal Oz not by choice and try to get home.

So, what was coming out around September 1973 in Japan?

Finger Five -- Kojin Jugyō(個人授業)


Candies -- Anata ni Muchu (あなたに夢中)


Kaguyahime -- Kandagawa (神田川)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.