Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 31, 2022

Anri -- V.S. Space Power

 

Beijing's Winter Olympics are pretty much on our doorstep, so my memories go back to 1998 when the Winter Games were being held in Nagano Prefecture. How could I ever forget? It was also the time when I smashed my ankle at the Export-Import Bank of Japan going down the stairs and I was stuck at home for three weeks.😭 Fortunately, I was able to see the nation's ski jump team win Gold live as it happened because I was cooped up on my sofa.

One other thing that I remembered although the Opening Ceremonies took place before the accident was seeing singer-songwriter Anri(杏里)take to the stage to sing a song. But let's not remind ourselves that a lot of us are in a bitter winter. Instead, why not get that summer feeling that Eiko Kawashima usually brings us? Therefore, here is "V.S. Space Power" from her June 1990 No. 1 album "Mind Cruisin'".

I'll be honest when I say that on seeing that title for the first time, I was scratching my head for a while (luckily Head & Shoulders shampoo cleared that up). Was that nomenclature for some starship? Still, it was darn catchy and funky enough which her go-to triumvirate at the time in the late 80s going into the early 90s: herself as the composer, Yumi Yoshimoto(吉元由美)as the lyricist and Yasuharu Ogura(小倉泰治)as the arranger, was handling here. As it turns out, once I finally read through Yoshimoto's lyrics, "V.S. Space Power" stands for "versus space power", as in encouraging those young lovers out there to not get caught in those fortune-telling traps (the titular space power) such as horoscopes and to rely on themselves to generate that sustainable love. 

Also, have a go at the title track for the album which later became the No. 5 album of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Brian. Yeah, I think Utada did debut "Automatic" in 1998. As for me, I was just a little over 3 years into my long odyssey in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brian. Yup, I did have that Japanese language school graduation trip in the summer of 1981 which changed my life around. Even before the Bubble Era, it certainly seemed like Japan was having some great days back then.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.