Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, January 6, 2022

Suiyoubi no Campanella -- Shakushain(シャクシャイン)

 

Ahh...those delectable Marusei Butter Cookies with raisins! 😋 I haven't had those in many years and if I ever return to Japan again, I have to devour a box of those at the risk of elevating my cholesterol. Those are just one of the many gastronomic delights in Hokkaido.

Usually if there is any song about Hokkaido and its municipalities or natural habitats on this blog, it's been in the form of an enka tune or a Mood Kayo like Yujiro Ishihara's(石原裕次郎)"Koi no Machi Sapporo" (恋の街札幌). However, today to start off the first Thursday of 2022 on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", we have a Hokkaido-based song that's completely different.

I was saddened to hear that quirky pop unit Suiyoubi no Campanella's(水曜日のカンパネラ)vocalist KOM_I(コムアイ)had left the group last September, but I am interested in hearing the new vocalist sometime soon. But quickly getting back to the matter at hand, back during their indies period between 2012 and 2015, they released a number of demos with one of them being "Shakushain" in April 2015 which is chock-filled with more examples of Hokkaido sites and dishes than a tourist information centre in the prefecture. There's even a shoutout to my beloved Marusei cookies in the lyrics themselves.

Even the title "Shakushain" refers to the Ainu chieftain who led a rebellion against the government in Hokkaido in the late 17th century. Suiyoubi no Campanella's sound producer Hidefumi Kenmochi(ケンモチヒデフミ)was responsible for the tribal rhythms and the lyrics for KOM_I to rap out before some melody rolls out in the last third of the song. I'm kinda glad that the singer threw out the words at Gatling Gun speed since I would have gotten rather hungry at all of that food that comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.