Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 14, 2022

Toshihiko Tahara -- Hard ni Yasashiku(Hardにやさしく)

 

A little over 7 years ago, I contributed a Creator article based on the works of singer-composer extraordinaire Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司). Following that, I kinda wondered whether he would ever get his own album consisting of most or all of those hit songs that he provided to other singers. Well, none of us have to wonder anymore since last year, a massive compilation came out with his name on it and multiple CDs in it. One of the sets is called "Tetsuji Hayashi Melody Collection 1979-2020" and you can have a gander at this 2-CD set at Discogs.

While listening to my own copy of the set, I came across a number of songs that he whipped up which either re-entered my memories or became known to me for the first time. As such, what I'd like to do today is put up the usual Friday urban contemporary-themed articles that are connected with Hayashi's concoctions since a number of them are indeed on YouTube. And we will start with 80s heartthrob aidoru Toshihiko Tahara(田原俊彦).

Tahara's 25th single was "Hard ni Yasashiku" (Hard and Easy) from March 1986 and the song also had another legend working on the lyrics, the late Yu Aku(阿久悠). This particular song is one that I'd forgotten about but now is one that I remember hearing for the first time on my old radio program "Sounds of Japan" decades ago. What I also now realize is how much of that Hayashi City Pop sheen got glossed onto this kakkoii song recorded by Toshi-chan, especially with that flute-and-piano (synths?) riff in the intro especially, and then there are those tight horns to contend with. 

Aku's lyrics have Toshi singing about how he doesn't care about any external affectations any woman might present like a preening peacock but actually prefers what's inside. The refrain does exhort "I like soul and spirit" although I'd been used to hearing him say it like "I like soul in the street". Listening to "Hard ni Yasashiku" for a few times for the first time in a few decades, it seems to be the ideal blend of the usual Toshi dynamic aidoru tune and some good ol' downtown City Pop. At the same time, there is still something quite Omega Tribe(オメガトライブ)about it, too, and I know that Hayashi had them as regular customers. It reached No. 8 on the Oricon weeklies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.