Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, January 1, 2022

Hibari Misora -- Uta wa Waga Inochi(歌は我が命)

 

Ah, before we go any further...

Me too, Mio, me too! 

Indeed, Happy New Year to everyone. 新年あけましておめでとうございます。Hope everyone has been having a safe and pleasant beginning to 2022, the only year this century that has three "2"s. and if all goes well, the final year of the pandemic. I was wondering how I would start this year on the blog, and I've decided to go with one of the best.


Having watched the majority of yesterday's 72nd Kohaku Utagassen, I did get to see enka singer (or maybe it might be now more accurate to say general kayo singer) Kiyoshi Hikawa(氷川きよし)perform a cover of Hibari Misora's(美空ひばり)"Uta wa Waga Inochi" (The Song is My Life). Over the last few years, Hikawa has gone into visual-kei, pop and emotion-drenched ballads along with his enka, so for him to belt out "Uta wa Waga Inochi" is right up his alley. Although I don't think that he's ever released it as a cover single, I'm fairly confident that it may be in one of his compilation albums.


The thing is though that I don't think Misora had ever released it as a single either according to what I couldn't find in her J-Wiki singles discography or even her own website's list. It took me some doing at the latter but I think that I could trace the origin year of "Uta wa Waga Inochi" to a 1976 compilation album.

I'm quite surprised that "Uta wa Waga Inochi" may not have been released as a single because I think that the song is one of those quintessential Misora numbers that starts off quietly but then rises into an epic declaration by the end. Composed by Katsuo Inoue(井上かつお), the legendary Queen of Kayo Kyoku has sung it on different occasions as a jazz ballad or even something close to chanson with a bit of that talking/singing style. The lyrics by Ou Yoshida(吉田旺)provide Misora a reason to explain to her many listeners about why she's chosen her way of life in a manner that sounds like Frank Sinatra's take on "My Way". As much as that karaoke chestnut is tied to the hip of The Chairman of the Board, "Uta wa Waga Inochi" is also very much a part of Misora.

7 comments:

  1. I'd heard a bit of some of the consternation between NHK and Misora. I knew that she had attracted a lot of fear and awe from fellow singers whenever she appeared on the Kohaku.

    Misora wouldn't be the only one with issues against NHK. I know that Southern All Stars had a cold war against the network for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that she sang Jinsei Ichiro in her final Kouhaku appearance in 1979. Her singing a song composed by her brother whose 1973 arrest led to NHK blacklisting listing her was like a big f-you to NHK.

    Also, check out her 1973 performance of My Way from her live special that aired against Kouhaku. You can really feel her telling NHK and others through the song that she would not be pushed around for protecting her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning, Ichigo. Both Misora and NHK were seen as titans of power in Japanese pop culture so it was probably no surprise that the two refused to kowtow to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NHK actually did. They asked her to be on Kouhaku in 1975 but she refused. Not sure what changed her mind but she finally agreed to appear on NHK in 1977 though she still refused to appear on Kouhaku. She sure was one fierce lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was absolutely ferocious. Barely stood 5 feet on heels but veteran singers were absolutely terrified of her when she did appear on the Kohaku. Still, when she appeared on stage, she struck me as being very confident, courteous and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m a new fan of hibari misora and I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog! it’s been a god-send since it’s all in English and I don’t have to rely on Google translate! I first came across a YouTube video of hibari misora singing or more accurately performing the song hanagasa douchu and was completely mesmerised by her stage presence. have been binge watching on old YouTube videos of her ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there and thanks for your kind comments. Misora is indeed a legend of kayo so you should be able to enjoy as many of her songs as possible. Keep on reading!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.