Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Hikaru Utada -- time will tell

 

Can't quite believe it myself but singer-songwriter Hikaru Utada(宇多田ヒカル)is celebrating 39 years today on this Earth so many good wishes on her birthday today. I still remember her as that teenager who exploded on the J-Pop scene with "Automatic" from December 9th 1998. That must have been quite the Xmas present for a lot of folks that year.

I'm also incredulous that I had yet to include this song which was the accompaniment to "Automatic", her debut single. "time will tell" has that similar boss beat as its track mate but it also feels a little calmer and reassuring thanks to Utada's lyrics about not taking things too hard and asking folks to not worry about what can't be controlled. Everything will be A-OK somehow.

Utada took care of words and music with Toshiyuki Mori and Jun Isomura(森俊之・磯村淳)helping out on the arrangement. I also found out from the J-Wiki article for "Automatic/time will tell" that there was a New York City pawnbroker that Utada knew as a kid which had that same name of Time Will Tell

2 comments:

  1. Nice timing on your part since she released her new album today. It's good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I guess time did tell.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.