Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, January 8, 2022

LAZY -- Baby, I Make A Motion(ベイビー・アイ・メイク・ア・モーション)

 

When I think of leather-lunged singer Hironobu Kageyama(影山 ヒロノブ), my mind goes to his rock-oriented anison including the amazing "THE HERO! ~Ikareru Kobushi ni Honō wo Tsukero" (THE HERO! ~怒れる拳に火をつけろ~), the opening theme for the first season of "One Punch Man" back in 2015 as a member of JAM Project. Just the way that he unleashes that final note at the end of the song like a wave-motion gun on the Yamato still sends a chill up and down my spine.

I was surprised to read that there is an English Wikipedia article for Kageyama's first rock band, LAZY, which started out in 1973 with him and his two old elementary school mates, the late bassist Hiroyuki Tanaka(田中宏幸)and guitarist Akira Takasaki(高崎晃). Plus, I found out there that the three named their band from the song with the same name by Deep Purple.

Once they got keyboardist Shunji Inoue(井上俊次)and drummer Munetaka Higuchi(樋口宗孝)on board, LAZY was ready to go. However, although Kageyama and the guys wanted to go the hard rock route, the powers-that-be at the time opted for them to be more like pop-rock idols, and thus I came across this particular song by LAZY, "Baby, I Make A Motion", their 8th single from June 1979. With lyrics by Ritsu Iwasawa(岩沢律), the music was crafted by Kunihiko Kase(加瀬邦彦)and arranged by Shigeki Watanabe(渡辺茂樹).

Watching the guys above and listening to the good-time rock-n'-roll of "Baby, I Make A Motion", I kinda think that LAZY sounded rather like the Bay City Rollers. I don't know how it fared on Oricon, but it was included in the band's April 1980 album "Lazy Five" (LAZY V).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.