Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, January 30, 2022

10th Anniversary Special: 10th Anniversary Songs

 

Once again, Happy Birthday to "Kayo Kyoku Plus" and thanks to all who have surrounded the blog for the past 10 years. As mentioned in my tribute article yesterday, I'm providing a couple of specials today beginning with this article under the Author's Picks banner. I had been wondering for some weeks about what I would do to commemorate January 30th. Would I provide a Jun Horie(堀江淳)song since his "Memory Glass" was the first subject that I tackled on the blog? 

But I decided to nix that idea (no offense meant to Mr. Horie) and had the brainwave about putting up a list of singers who had singles in or about their 10th year of their careers. Those songs weren't necessarily released as a commemoration of reaching their first decade, mind you, at least not officially. So without further ado, have a gander below.

(1988) Anri -- Snowflake no Machikado (スノーフレイクの街角)


(1988) Mariya Takeuchi -- Genki wo Dashite (元気を出して)


(1991) Anzen Chitai -- Itsumo Kimi no Soba ni(いつも君のそばに)


(1985) Hiromi Iwasaki -- Kesshin (決心)

(1996) Masayuki Suzuki & Momoko Kikuchi -- Shibuya de Go-ji (渋谷で5時)


(1982) Hiromi Go -- Aishuu no Casablanca (哀愁のカサブランカ)

(1967) Yujiro Ishihara -- Yogiri yo Konya mo Arigatou (夜霧よ今夜も有難う)


Although this last song wasn't actually a 10th anniversary song (although it was placed on her 10th anniversary album) for her, I thought it would be appropriate to finish things here.

Misato Watanabe -- 10 Years

4 comments:

  1. Allan,
    Again, congrats to 10 years!

    Except for "Yogiri yo Konya mo Arigatou", I've heard none of the songs. Moreover, I heard Akina's cover of "Yogiri", not Ishihara Yujiro!

    I didn't know that Casablanca has a Japanese cover version, and of all people, by Go Hiromi. Big surprise.

    The conversation between Momoko and her manager(?) at the beginning of that video was interesting. She's so cute. Suzuki Masayuki does look like a gangster to me :P

    Of all the songs, I like Anzen Chitai's "Itsumo Kimi no Soba ni" most. Tamagi Kouji's voice is so impressive and is second to none.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Larry.

      Thanks again. Well, that's great that you have discovered most of these songs for the first time.

      Yes, I'm not sure what Suzuki is like in real life but I'm hoping that he really is as gentlemanly as he appears on talk and music shows.

      Delete
  2. Hello J-Canuck and congratulations on 10 years of this blog.
    Was just wondering if you've heard this one before:
    https://youtu.be/tzvq6ufShoc
    It appears to be one of Hiromi Iwasaki's unreleased songs, put on the Excel One LP, which is also filled with other rare songs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very kindly for your comments. We've been having a fine time on the blog over the decade, and I hope that you will continue to do so as well. I took a listen to the song that you've recommended and yeah, it's a banger. I never heard it before but would like to cover it some time soon. Thanks very much for the tip!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.