Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Sing Like Talking -- City on My Mind

 

Indeed, it's back to Hump Day in January 2022 so maybe a lot of folks are once again feeling the fatigue and frustration of a typical Wednesday: too late from the last weekend and too early for the next one.

Perhaps I can interest you once again in a Sing Like Talking number? Chikuzen Sato(佐藤竹善), Chiaki Fujita(藤田千章)and Tomohiko Nishimura(西村智彦)have alternately calmed and energized me with their quality music for years now, and it was just a few months ago that I introduced the soothing "Hope II" which was the B-side for their 3rd single "City on My Mind" from June 1989.

Well, that A-side, which was given words and music by both vocalist Sato and keyboardist Fujita, has a bit more urban chutzpah and searing rock guitar provided by Nishimura. "City on My Mind" does tend to place me smack dab among those huge Shinjuku skyscrapers of the concrete jungle, and as a song that I think can be placed into City Pop, it can guide listeners like me from the 80s version of the genre into the 90s. "City on My Mind" was also the title track for Sing Like Talking's 2nd album which came out exactly a month after the single.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Brian. I think although Sing Like Talking has its dedicated group of fans, it's been one of the more underrated bands. If you like AOR, funk, and soul, SLT is the group for you.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.