Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Yutaka Oe -- Doronko Taisho(泥んこ大将)

 

I don't get to see enka singer Yutaka Oe(大江裕)all that much on television for some reason, but whenever he has come on, he's usually presented in some really flamboyant and loud suit. Honestly, I don't think that the Osaka native needs the fancy-pants fashion since he's got the "aw shucks" self-effacing demeanor and the talent to become popular all on his own. So that's why I'm glad that he's in a much more sober outfit in the above video.

Actually, I did catch Oe last weekend on NHK's "Nodo Jiman"(のど自慢)amateur singing contest as a guest and it was there that I heard one of the contestants performing this particular song of his.

His February 2020 single is "Doronko Taisho" (The Muddy General) which is an optimistic and inspiring enka about a military leader or someone in a high position who endures all of the messy obstacles to achieve his goals, according to one of his admiring soldiers in the field. From his singing style, I can hear his teacher, singer and songwriter for "Doronko Taisho" Saburo Kitajima(北島三郎)under his pen name of Joji Hara(原譲二). And yep, it does have that muscular arrangement that I would expect from a Sabu-chan song although I can also sense a gleaming smile from it as well. The video below is a shortened version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.