Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 7, 2022

Mariko Tone -- Talk To Me

 


Friday night looks to be a good night for some Mariko Tone(刀根麻理子). When I hear some of her material, I get some associations with other singers such as Yurie Kokubu(国分友里恵)back from the 1980s and Miho Fujiwara(藤原美穂)of Chocolate Lips.


I've already dipped twice into the well that is Tone's 2nd album "Purple Rose" from October 1985. For one thing, I've covered the funky opening track "Broken Eyes" that launches the album and then there is the sophisticated pop of her "Matenro Monogatari"(摩天楼物語). Why I hadn't bothered getting the album is beyond me although I will still try for one of her BEST compilations.

Now here is the 2nd track, "Talk To Me", which starts off with some sassy back chorus and some jumpy keyboard work. Tone also sings it totally in English with an appropriately sultry attitude through Linda Hennrick's lyrics alongside Tsunehiro Izumi's(和泉常寛)music. Having listened to "Talk To Me" a few times now, I definitely do get those Kokubu vibes although the introduction of those strings (synth or otherwise) also has me thinking once again of some sophisti-pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.