Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Ami Ozaki -- Akuma ga Sasayaku(悪魔がささやく)

 

Although I've known about the FOX/Netflix series "Lucifer", I never became a dedicated viewer of the show only because I no longer have easy access to a television to catch my own stuff, I simply don't want to PVR everything in sight, and well, I have "Kayo Kyoku Plus" to do every night (and day). Yet, Tom Ellis, the star of the show playing the titular character, has made quite the name for himself in Hollywood, and there are rumours (which admittedly are worth less than the paper that they are written upon) that he could become the next Doctor Who (which is unlikely). I think that he would make for a very fine and naughty 14th incarnation, but perhaps after doing a series for several years, maybe there are other things that he would like to do.

In any case, I was reminded of "Lucifer" by this song by singer-songwriter Ami Ozaki(尾崎亜美)called "Akuma ga Sasayaku" (The Devil Whispers), and it's quite the funk-fest and overall jazzy plaything that resides on her 3rd studio album from July 1978, "Stop Motion" which also has the Ozaki classic "I've Been Mellow". Written and composed by her, I probably wouldn't place it as a City Pop tune but it can fit nicely in New Music and R&B. Lyrically, a lady gets involved with a rather devilish young man who has her in his snare of love and she's not particularly too keen in escaping. 

Actually, while listening to "Akuma ga Sasayaku" a few times, I started wondering whether Ozaki had been inspired somewhat by the late great Dr. John, the master of New Orleans blues, jazz and funk. Furthermore, in my right earphone, I can hear a rhythm in there that I've also heard in another completely different song from many years later, the eccentric "Apron Boy" by DJ Misoshiru & MC Gohan.

I ought to mention some of the musicians involved as well since they're no slouches. Hiroshi Sato(佐藤博)was on the piano and organ, Shigeru Suzuki(鈴木茂)was on the electric guitar, and Masaki Matsubara(松原正樹)was on lead guitar, for instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.