Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Masato Shimon -- Fireman(ファイヤーマン)

 

All firemen are heroes...that's without question. In Japan though back in the early 1970s, there was a Fireman who was a tokusatsu hero. "Fireman", or as he was known in certain overseas markets: "Magma Man", was a live-action series that premiered in January 1973 and was launched with two other similar series, "Ultraman Taro"(ウルトラマンタロウ)and "Jumborg Ace"(ジャンボーグA)in commemoration of Tsuburaya Productions 10th anniversary.

Ironically though, I never saw an episode of "Fireman". Actually, I remember the character in his manga form when my parents bought me those thick kids' books that were selling at the old Furuya food market in downtown Toronto back in those 1970s. Even back then, I thought that it was rather odd to name a superhero after a well-known essential service for any community, but I was informed that in Japan, firemen were and are known as shouboushi(消防士), so the character's name was still an exotic one.

Seeing Fireman in action through one of the YouTube videos, I didn't think that there was anything special in his battling of monsters that couldn't have been replaced by one of the Ultramen or I assume Jumborg Ace (since he showed up in that same thick manga book), but variety is the spice of life. The theme song, "Fireman", is the usual heroic ballad of dramatic horns and strings created by composer Asei Kobayashi(小林亜星)and lyricist Yu Aku(阿久悠)with perennial kids' hero singer Masato Shimon(子門真人)behind the mike.

Come to think of it, I'll have to take a look at "Jumborg Ace" as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.