Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, September 11, 2023

Hikari Mitsushima (prod. Mondo Grosso) -- Shadow Dancing

 

I haven't really been an avid follower of actress/singer/dancer Hikari Mitsushima(満島ひかり)in her movie and TV career although I've known about her acclaimed portrayal of real-life TV veteran Tetsuko Kuroyanagi(黒柳徹子)and the observation that one movie critic in "The Japan Times" admired her bravery in one early movie in allowing the camera to do a close-up of the inside of her nose (yes, I know that I've made that point before). Of course, I also remember her as a member of the song-and-dance kids' group Folder around a quarter of a century ago.

Since then, she's been collaborating with music producer Mondo Grosso over the past several years which has resulted in "Labyrinth"(ラビリンス)in 2017 and then "In This World" last year. This has included accompanying mesmerizing music videos which have reminded folks of a certain generation like myself that she is indeed a talented dancer. Such is also the case with her and Mondo Grosso's latest work together "Shadow Dancing" which now has Mitsushima front and centre on the credit byline instead of Mondo Grosso.

Released last month in August, both aforementioned artists provided words and music for "Shadow Dancing" which strikes me as a very chill dance tune so I can imagine anyone hitting the floor for this one moving slowly and rhythmically. As I was watching, I was getting some Chris Nolan "Inception" vibes from this one. Speaking of which, will Mitsushima make a break into Hollywood someday?

2 comments:

  1. Great song. I dunno about Hollywood but she was great in that Netflix J-drama that was based around Hikaru Utada's "First Love" song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, admittedly, I was waxing a bit fantastical there but stranger things have happened.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.