Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Mari Ueda -- Kotoshi no Aki wa(今年の秋は)

From Good Free Photos

 

Well, now that we are in the first full week of autumn, I guess that it might be time for those roasted chestnuts and pumpkin spice lattes. Toronto might be jumping the gun, though, since so far, it's been feeling a bit more summery than usual although it's not stifling out here. 

I was looking for a nice autumn-themed J-Pop song or kayo kyoku today when I encountered a ranking list of such songs at the "Ranking Book" website. At No. 30 is "Kotoshi no Aki wa" (This Autumn is) by a singer and songwriter that I first introduced back in 2017 for her mellow "sunrichorange" from 1998.

"Kotoshi no Aki wa" was actually the coupling song to Mari Ueda's(上田まり)debut single "Tsutaetai"(伝えたい...I Want to Tell You) from September 1998. From listening a few times to both "sunrichorange" and "Kotoshi no Aki wa", I gather that the bluesy guitar could have been a regular accompaniment. Just like "sunrichorange", "Kotoshi no Aki wa" is plenty relaxing but with a few more interesting chord changes. 

In the last six years between Ueda articles, I've found out that her official website has gone the way of the dodo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.