Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Akina Nakamori -- Non-fiction Ecstasy(ノンフィクションエクスタシー)

 

I wasn't sure whether I would be putting up another Akina Nakamori(中森明菜)post this year as an addition to "Shiroi Labyrinth"(白い迷い)and "Kagami no Naka no J"(鏡の中のJ), but then I found this oldie but goodie a few days ago.

"Non-fiction Ecstasy" is Akina's November 1986 single and true to my faltering memory, I had been wondering this was a track on her "CD '87" album that I forgot to mention in that July 2013 post. Well, that certainly wasn't the case and the reason that I am rather emphatic about that is that "Non-fiction Ecstasy" was only initially available as a cassette single with the main song and its karaoke version on Side A while Side B had karaoke versions of a couple of songs which would eventually get onto "CD '87". In fact, the first album that it finally got onto was the singer's "BEST II" compilation from December 1988...which I have as a cassette tape as well, although I won't play it on my tape recorder that I've dubbed Jaws.

The single's cover has a mighty good hint as to what the song sounds like. Looking like a very inviting and a slightly adorably goofy cabaret singer, Akina is basically offering herself as a very congenial host for the evening surrounded by a techno jazz arrangement. Considering the general sound of her singles in the late 1980s, I have mused whether Akina felt that she should have been born up to half a century earlier. 

Arranged by Kazuo Shiina(椎名和夫), the No. 1-reaching "Non-fiction Ecstasy" was written and composed by singer-songwriter Kazuko Sakata(坂田和子). I'd never heard of her before but according to her J-Wiki profile and her own website, she had been creating songs since her student days before providing her songs to a wide variety of other singers though not particularly focusing on any one artist. Sakata did release one CD of her own titled "Lullaby" in 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.