Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, September 8, 2023

Morning Glow -- Let's Dance

Good Free Photos

 

I recall David Bowie coming out with "Let's Dance" around 1983 which became a huge mainstream hit for the singer and artiste who had been seen as a very unconventional figure in the music industry. And I'll have to do a ROY soon enough on Bowie again but for now, let's look at a totally different "Let's Dance".

Could find nothing on this musical entity by the name of Morning Glow aside from the fact that they released this one single in 1982 "Let's Dance". The lyricist and composer was Itaru Takahashi(高橋イタル), a drummer who was once part of the early 1970s folk group Early Times Strings Band, while the arranger was Kazuo Otani(大谷和夫). I can only speculate that Takahashi may have been part of Morning Glow as a vocalist.

No influence from Bowie here at all. In fact, I would say that "Let's Dance" is very much in the vein of West Coast AOR. Very nice to listen to with a fine electric guitar and sax solo in the middle, but I can't help but think of cigarette commercials when I see the cover of the single. In any case, if anyone has any more information on Morning Glow, please let us know.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! "Let's Dance" by Bowie was released in 1983.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, dang, off my one year! My bad...I'll make the correction. Thanks for letting me know. :)

      Delete
    2. Spelling alert...should have typed "off BY one year".

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.