Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Matsuko Mawatari -- Fortune Teller(フォーチュンテラー)

 

As with any other nation, Japan has its own ways of divining the future including astrology and tarot card readings. I even remember when there was a fad sometime during my life there when it was all about animals providing insights. Of course, there are the fortune tellers sitting stoically in front of train stations waiting for customers to drop by for advice.

Not a huge believer myself but I do believe in this song "Fortune Teller" which was a track on Matsuko Mawatari's(馬渡松子)June 1992 debut album "Aitashi Gakunari Gatashi"(逢いたし学なりがたし). By the way, I did get a definition for the album title by a helpful commenter (my apologies for not responding any sooner) since I couldn't find one myself when I posted the article on the track mate for "Fortune Teller", "Homework ga Owaranai"(ホームワークが終わらない). It apparently means "How I Met You". In any case, thank you very much, commenter.

Getting back to "Fortune Teller", this was another collaboration between composer Mawatari and lyricist Lee Shauron(リーシャウロン). Realizing that I'm still early for the Friday City Pop songs on KKP, I was still drawn enough to this smart and snappy tune of urbaneness that I wanted to finish up Thursday with this one. Love the piano which starts it off and I couldn't help but feel some Airplay vibes when I listen to it.

2 comments:

  1. That album title is a phrase and one dictionary defines it as: 若いと思っているうちにすぐに年老いてしまい、志す学問は遅々として進まない。 年月は移りやすいので寸刻をおしんで勉強せよということ
    "You'll get old before you know it so, study hard while you still can" 💀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification. I can understand that phrase's feeling very well now.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.