Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Yuko Ishikawa -- Nonstop Flight

 

When I've taken trips between Toronto and Tokyo on Air Canada, it's always been nonstop. I do get to my destination in one shot but it's not easy on account that I can never fall asleep on an airplane, and of course, we're talking about eleven hours if not more for AC001 and AC002. One reason is that I haven't been a particularly relaxed passenger in recent years; I do try to get some sleep somehow but sitting upright in Economy isn't the best position for me.

Anyways, enough kvetching from me. The last time I posted anything up for singer-songwriter Yuko Ishikawa(石川優子)was back in January 2021 and back then, I had noted that it had only been a month since an even earlier posting regarding the Osaka chanteuse. Well, this time it's very different with nearly three years between articles.

This time, I've got a track from Ishikawa's August 1983 album "Feria no Koibito"(フェリアの恋人...Feria Lovers). Maybe some of you are wondering what the heck a feria is...as I am. Well, I looked it up and it's a local fair in some Spanish-speaking regions in the world. And with the track "Nonstop Flight", there is naturally that feeling of getting on the plane for new climes...maybe Spain, Mexico or Argentina for an intriguing vacation. Written by Masami Tozawa(戸沢暢美)and composed by Kenji Iwakura(岩倉健二), the tropical punch is in there but I also sense elements of City Pop and AOR, a combination which will always be all right by me. Lovely cover for the album, too.

4 comments:

  1. It is about a 12-hour flight from where I grew up to Narita Airport in Tokyo. I also fly in Economy but on JAL and I love that JAL has a personal screens/entertainment system for every passenger even in Economy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though some of the Japanese people I know have criticized JAL for some deterioration in its services recently, I think it's probably still far better than Air Canada. One reason that I don't fly very often is because of them.

      Delete
    2. Ah, well there is always ANA! I have never flown on ANA but have heard good things about them. Anyway, flying on JAL was awesome and compared to the American airlines I have flown on internationally the service and atmosphere was the differences between night and day.

      Delete
    3. In all my time in Japan, I only took an ANA plane once and that was to and from Hokkaido for a brief vacation. Yep, even for that one hour each way, it felt very different.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.